New Students - Register here

Register with Student Health at SHU here. You will need to have completed the registration form prior to you getting an appointment. It is also helpful to provide some form on photo ID when we first see you to confirm your registration. This will help us process your registration quickly. 

If you don't have these forms, don't worry - we have copies of the forms wherever you chose to register. If you have your NHS card, please bring this with you.

We invite all new patients over the age of five who register with the practice to have a health check.

We will also ask you to fill in a questionnaire. This gives us important information about past illnesses and medication. This is useful as it may be some time before we receive medical records from your previous doctor.

What happens next?

The information you give will be sent via computer to Primary Care Support England who will then request your medical records to be transferred to us from your previous doctor.

If you have not had a doctor in the UK before, a new medical record will be made for you with a unique National Health Service (NHS) number. A letter will be sent to you informing you of your NHS Number, your Sheffield address and the doctor you have been registered with. Keep this safe. This information can be used to register with another doctor when you leave the area.

Visiting your doctor at home during vacations

If you need to see a doctor when you are out of Sheffield, ask the local GP surgery to register as a temporary resident. This will mean your medical records will remain in Sheffield until you complete your course.       Please note: You can still contact Student Health at SHU if you need a telephone consultation or repeat medication when back home 

Visiting a doctor while you're on placement

If you're on placement and living away from Sheffield for more than three months, it is advisable to register with a doctor in the area where you live.

Visiting a doctor when you are only in Sheffield for a short time

If you are here for three months or less we can register you as a temporary resident. Your medical records will remain with your doctor at home.

Guide to GP Services

The Royal College of General Practitioners has produced a useful guide for patients about the services on offer at GP Surgeries and how to access them.  You can download the guide below.

pdf A Patient Guide to GP Services

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website